Friday, June 18, 2010


The Necessity to speak response
The essay “Necessity to Speak” has a horde of reasons explaining that if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. However, some people would disagree. I am not affiliated with that group. If your just sitting around assuming you’re in the right even though you ignore the apparent issues such as, talking to your children about sex, rape, and violence in other words, the difference between wrong and right. Then you are doing more damage than good. Because in my opinion, people are molded into whom they are when they are children. Almost everything Sam has written in this essay is very true. You can deny it but, on the inside you know the truth.

I am too young to have the knowledge to express how overjoyed I am that I read this essay because I would have made the same mistakes as so many other people and thought that everything was just fine and dandy. I told myself a while ago that I would shelter my future children and not talk to them about pressing matters like sex, rape, and violence. Only because I thought it would help but, after reading this I know that it would just make it all worse.

Hamill wants the reader to understand how a person’s childhood affects their adulthood so drastically. You see and learn things as a child and they are typically with you forever. A child that was involved with domestic violence is more likely to be the so called “executioner” as an adult.

Sam Hamill
http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/733

No comments:

Post a Comment